Keeping Track of Paperwork Properly Managing Association Records

While keeping the records of the association is not the most fascinating part of board membership, it is in some ways one of the most important. In fact, the flow of paperwork is the lifeblood of the community.

The association’s declaration, master deed and bylaws, and the co-op’s articles of incorporation and proprietary lease are the foundation of the business that is your typical co-op, condominium or homeowners’ association. The voluminous documents produced day to day are the records of its operation and the correspondence among the board, owners and management create the tenor of life within the community. Keeping documents and records tidy and communications responsible and transparent are key to running a functional and harmonious community.

The Letters of the Law

While the rules and regulations regarding producing and distributing the documents of an association are largely determined by the association itself in its declaration and bylaws, there are some that are laid out by State of Florida statute — Chapter 718 for condominiums, Chapter 720 for HOA’s and Chapter 719 for cooperatives.

The laws for each are virtually the same. According to attorney Kyle Egger of the Miami-based Nearing Law Firm, “Generally, they just say that all financial and accounting records must be maintained for at least a seven year period, and they’ve got to be accurate and itemized, applying accounting principles.”

By statute, an association must keep detailed records of all receipts and expenditures, and a periodic statement of the account for each owner, including all assessment information and monthly maintenance fee information. “That’s for the benefit of the members, so they can always get a quick accounting of their account,” explains Egger. Plus, the association must keep all tax returns, financial statements, contracts, agreements and a record of debts and liabilities. That’s so, “you can double check to make sure nobody’s self-dealing on the board,” he adds.


Related Articles

Coronavirus & COVID-19

What Should Condos and HOAs Do?

Communicate...and Then OVERcommunicate

Tips for Getting Residents Involved, Engaged, & Informed

Vulnerable Residents

Safety for All



  • Gerald F. Guerra on Sunday, May 26, 2019 2:04 PM
    Who ever is responsible for this article, and writtings, is doing a great job for the Property Owners living in a HOA or a Condo, this info is so valuable there is no word to thank you, keep them coming, Gracias. Respectfuly, Gerald F. Guerra.
  • Hi, I hope my email is not public. I am in litigation against my condo in small claims court I don't think I am in the correct area. I asked to have an inspection of the "Official Records" I was granted an appt. However,, all I was shown were old bank statements. I asked for all the documents listed by 718.111 I was answered we do not have them. While in court I requested production of documents required to maintain by 718.111 The Judge said well, if they don't have them, what can you do ? Is there another court that I can transfer my case because the Judge also said I am accumulating attorney's billable hours. I went to arbitration , what a mess , lost that I feel as if out Florida system is very very flawed
  • I am currently in litigation with my condo association and after consultation with three attorneys I am settling a grossly unfair and I feel illegal lien with threat of foreclosure. I intend to pursue this issue after the current threat is satisfied. I am interested in how you have managed your legal actions.
  • I am disputing an issue regarding “window frames” that are Fire Rated and made of steel rather than aluminum. There are 200 units and only two units have these windows. Because, the 2004 code required them when constructed and within 30 ft. Of an adjoining building. The developer is out of business and so is the construction company. The documents were drafted in 2001 and the building code changed in 2004, then our building was constructed. ALL of my research from County, Structural engineer etc. says the Fire Rated/Impact Glass windows “support and protect” the building and or just my/our units. The Board refuses to “investigate” by paying a licensed structural engineer to confirm or deny if these windows are a structural Association responsibility. The Assoc. attorney says they should not use association money to “investigate with a structural engineer.” I CANNOT BELIEVE THE BOARD’S FIDUCIARY DUTY IS BEING FOLLOWED HERE. THEY MUST DO WHAT IS PROPER TO FIND THE ACTUAL ANSWER? NO? (THOUGHTS?)